Sunday, September 23, 2012

EDIT: Marinara

    If you notice, I have changed the name of my red sauce. I am calling it simply 'Pasta Sauce' rather than marinara. I am not one for controversy and I certainly do not enjoy fighting among italian mama's. It has come to my attention that there are several definitions for what a marinara sauce is. The italian word means "mariner's wife". There are 3 main definitions for a "true" marinara is. Some say any sauce without meat can be called marinara (the category my sauce falls into), others say it must contain anchovies, and still others say it is cooked quickly because it was made as the fisherman's dinner and the marinara never quite knew when he'd be home. Until there is a firm answer to the question of what can be called a marinara sauce, I will continue to call it 'pasta sauce'.

No comments:

Post a Comment