Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Summertime

    Y'all (please note the southern vernacular) know how much I love North Carolina. The Autumn is long, mild and colorful. The Spring starts early, awakens beautiful blooms, and smells amazing! Best of all, the Winter provides only enough snow to remind me of the season. But Summer is never as good here as it is in Ohio. It still gets hot, but not scorching. The sun beats down on the grass, the hay in the pastures, and the animals in the barnyards, making the most enchanting aroma. The grass is so green and lush. I have no recollection of ever wearing shoes in my yard growing up. Summer in Ohio is when all the lessons about sowing seeds, being patient, and working hard make sense. The veggies are crisp, the fruit is sweet, the insects seem to speak a language I can understand, and the memories are all good.

The egg-makers

Nothing says 'summer' like Black-Eyed Suzies

     Since being in North Carolina, I haven't spent much time in Ohio during the summers. My visits home usually revolve around the holidays or a winter birthday. I was so excited to be able to drive up there last weekend! Each of the two 7.5 hour drives were filled with me listening to a combination of showtunes, Christian pop music, and rap - all while practicing my 'harmonies'. There were bare feet, one handed whopper driving, with just a hint of road rage.

Coming out of the mountains in southern Virginia
      All of which was made worth while when I surprised my younger (and much taller) brother on his last day before driving away to Northern Illinois University for his graduate program. It was so good to be able to see him before he went off to be a man all by himself.

My 'little' brother is off to Chicago

     I soaked up the surroundings, time with family, and home cooking. One of my favorite things to do in my childhood home is collaborate on dinner with my mom. On Friday night, I made Salmon with Mango Salsa and my mom made the most delicious Zucchini Feta Fritters with Tzatziki Sauce.
 There was also some delicious roasted corn on the cob and warm bread.


 Saturday night I made Basil Mint Pesto Chicken with Pasta and Peas and my mom whipped up a beautiful greek salad.

                   
     These kinds of meals are why I am the person that I am today. These are the meals that made me realize that food is about more than nourishing your body, it is about nourishing the soul. Think about some of your favorite memories in life. I bet the majority of them were made in the kitchen, over a candle light dinner, sharing a dessert, or during sobremesa. Sobremesa is a spanish term describing the time that is spent talking around the table following a meal. THAT is home to me. I could be anywhere in the world but if I am sitting at a table, talking to people I love, I am home... Though Ohio will always have a very special place in my heart.

What memories have you made over food this summer? Let me know in the comments below!

1 comment:

  1. Having a South African braai with the sweet Kulp family this summer is a memory I won't forget. Being able to blend the two cultures we love, with great friends over great food was such a huge blessing! Dave and Jeremy worked the grill in the pouring rain while Mary, the girls and I chatted inside. Teaching those sweet girls how to say "boery" (the South African meat we brought) was just precious :)

    ReplyDelete