Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Excuses, Excuses...

     Everyone remain calm. You have not entered the Twilight Zone nor have you gone back in time. I am actually writing a blog post. Life got a little bit crazy and unfortunately blogging was the first thing to fall to the wayside.
     What was so crazy, you ask? Since my last post I traveled to Ohio for Christmas with my family. (Yes, I know...Christmas was 8 months ago.) In case you have forgotten, I grew up with my 4 siblings on a little farm in Ohio. We were all home schooled together and are very close now because of it. Over Christmas, all of us kids were home and it was the longest stretch of time Justin and I have spent in Ohio together. Nothing says 'home' better than having your husband and your family under the same roof for Christmas. The food wasn't too shabby either. There was lasagna, chili, pancakes, french toast, champagne, wine, bread, and many other moan-inducing meals.
     Upon returning from Ohio, I learned that the family I had been working with as their nanny for the previous 18 months would be moving to Minneapolis (brrrrr!) at the end of February. That began the process of saying goodbye to "my babies", looking for a new job, and assisting in the children's transition. To say it was hectic and exhausting is an understatement. The last week of February turned into the first week of March and I found myself traveling with two toddlers to the frozen tundra that was Minneapolis at the time. After a few days in a hotel with said toddlers came the most difficult goodbyes I have experienced to date. I kissed those chubby cheeks and had those little arms wrap around my neck for the last time until who-knows-when. I cried all night and much of the next day, while making my way to New Jersey to spend time with Justin's grandma, who has recently suffered a stroke. Emotional, right? Yikes!
    I returned from New Jersey on Sunday and started my new job on Monday. Phew! Thanks to my previous employer, I was referred to several families and did not have to look for a job for long. Since the middle of March I have been spending my days with a baby girl who I fell IMMEDIATELY in love with!

My sous chef working hard.

I also fell in love with her parents, who adopted me as a part of the family within days of beginning my time there.

     A few weeks into my new job my beautiful sister Madeline came to stay with us in Charlotte for awhile. Most. Fun. Ever.

The ever-posing Madeline Rose with a picnic of antipasti and pasta salad
Maddie is the orchid whisperer. So we spent part of a rainy day at a local greenhouse that looks like THIS inside!

Maddie was 9 when I moved to Charlotte and this visit was the first time since then that I have spent significant time with her. It was so fun getting to know my sister, who turned 13 when she was here, as my friend rather than just as 'the baby'. She is way cooler already than I will ever be, not to mention taller. She is brilliant, artistic, creative, funny, and the best sister a girl could ask for.
     Justin and I returned Maddie to Ohio over Mother's Day Weekend. The weekend also contained graduation celebrations for two of my brothers, as well as a birthday for my almost-twin brother. It was very short but very sweet and lots of fun was had by all.

The Bros. From left: Conner (21), Logan (18), and Keith (25)

The summer brought Litchfield Beach, SC with some girlfriends and Folly Beach, SC with the in-laws and the hubby. Both brought sun, sand, good food, and much-needed time away.

A quick picture of the approaching storm on Sullivan's Island, SC - just down the road from Poe's Tavern where we had just consumed a delicious lunch.
The first beer of vacation, and my handsome (albeit a little strange) husband at Taco Boy on Folly Beach, SC.


Outside of Husk Restaurant in Charleston, SC. The standard for local, sustainable, farm-to-table cooking.

The final sunset of our stay on the 1500 block of E. Ashley, Folly Beach, SC

    I am finally back into a routine at home. The better the vacation, the longer the recovery time. I am learning that to fully live life, one must find joy in the mundane. It is not always easy but family, friends, food, and fat baby cheeks are my mundane and they bring me more joy each day. I will also be adding 'blogging' back into the mundane that is my life. I promise that there are some yummy, summer recipes coming your way SOON!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment: